Here's to the three moms in my life



Just now I was cycling home from the train station, letting my mind wander after an exhausting journey. I started thinking about my mother in law, then about my own mom, and my dad's wife (my step mom technically, but I hate that word). They are women that I have known for either my whole life, or quite a big chunk of it. All three of them have very different ways of living, and under different circumstances: one is divorced and currently single, the other is married and has been for over 30 years, the third is divorced and remarried. But one thing they have in common is that they are such strong women. Between them they have battled depression, raised children, cared for parents suffering from Alzheimer's disease and cancer, survived divorce and came out stronger, struggled with a very stubborn teenager (who, me?!). And they are still standing strong.

I have learned so much from them. With all of them I've had disagreements and misunderstandings.We've shared tears of both grief and laughter. They have given me advise, criticised me, picked me up when I was down, gave me new perspective on things. Showed me things I want to take with me in life, and things I want to do differently.

I consider myself so very lucky to be able to watch these three women, learn from them, listen to them, love them.

So on this International Women's Day: Mieke, Johanna and Kitty - thank you. For everything. XXX


Geen opmerkingen :

Een reactie posten

Back to Top